Friday, July 24, 2009

The Great Dry-Aging Steaks at Home Experiment: One Week Later

It's been one week since I put this strip loin into the special "drybag" and sucked the air out (I used a machine, in case you were wondering).

It looks great! The loin has shrunk ever so slightly, the meat is firm, there is no unpleasant odor, and the color looks just right. The membrane has adhered perfectly to the surface of the meat, and most importantly there is no wetness under plastic.

There's also no moisture on the surface, or under the rack, yet the loin
is clearly undergoing a very slow dehydration. At this point, I can only conclude that the bag is performing as advertised. One week to go, so stay tuned!

5 comments:

Susanna said...

To truly test if this homemade dry-aged steak really is better than ordinary steak, you should have someone cook both kinds of steak together and taste them without being told which is which. (or cook them yourself and serve both to people and see which they prefer)

Chef John said...

I may have not been clear. This test isn't to see if the dry-aged steaks will taste better than un-aged - to anyone that's had dry-aged beef, there is no mistaking it, and it is far superior in flavor and texture. This test is to simply see if this bag does a good job of aging the steaks. Having said that, we will taste some of the same beef that isn't aged just for fun. btw, an aged steak would be quite easy to pick out blindfolded.

Anonymous said...

good!

I was thinking last night if you had to toss the poor piece of meat if it didn't live up to expectations...

Pyrofish said...

I'm getting kind of excited to hear the results. I'd love to age my own steaks for family events! If it works, you've probably just made some sales for them.

Do you know if these bags will work with any vac sealer? I already have one counter hog.... :-)

Chef John said...

they say the bags will work with any "snorkel" vacuums, but I would contact them to make sure.