Monday, August 4, 2014

Broiled Chicken – Welcome to Plan “B”

I once heard Alton Brown say that a broiler is nothing more than an upside-down gas grill, which is certainly not how most Americans think of theirs. While most people are fine melting cheese over their nachos with it, or browning a casserole, the broiler is seldom used to cook meats.

Well, the next time rain ruins your dream of a grilled chicken dinner, I hope you fire it up, and give this easy, alternative method a try.  Not only are you getting the same intense, direct heat, but you also have more control, since you can adjust how far the chicken is from the flame. I prefer the meat about 7-8 inches under the heating element, but feel free to adjust as needed.

As you’ll see, I like to flip mine over every 6-7 minutes until it’s done. This should take between 30 and 40 minutes, but that can vary greatly depending on the size and temperature of you chicken, as well as your broiler’s heat.

By the way, you’ll want to finish with the skin side up, so the bird gets a nice, crisp finish. This is important, especially if you’re recording sound effects. I hope you give this simple and delicious broiled chicken a try soon. Enjoy!


For 2 portions:
3 pound chicken, cut in half, back bone removed
salt as needed
lemon and fresh herb to finish
- Broil on high for about 30-45 minutes, turning often, or until done. 
*Note: Some glass baking dishes will shatter under a broiler, so unless you're sure yours is high-heat proof, a metal pan is a better bet. 

14 comments:

Steve Kennedy said...

This is my unwritten food wish. I have been playing with the broiler for the last couple weeks.
Rusty chicken thighs are pretty good on the broiler, if you put it on a wire rack over a suitable casserole dish to adjust the height. I have this little wire mesh rack that is inexpensive, the problem was getting it, the proper distance between the gas flame and the meat. I have been been putting my oven rack as high as it will go, then moving the wire rack up and down, with the height of the casserole dish, which doubles as a drip pan.

Mark said...

This is my first comment on your great blog. And this is another useful entry. I'm a huge fan.

But as a long time lurker I just had to post so that I could say...

...you are the Arthur Conan Doyle of your awesome chicken broil.

Jude said...

I'm leery of using glass to broil or actually use for anything involving heat since I lost an Anchor Hocking pie plate to a caramel flan recipe. I made the caramel, poured it into the plate and as it cooled the plate shattered on the stovetop.

Chef John said...

Yes, I actually added a note under the recipe! Thanks!

Chef John said...

Mark,

Not bad. ;)

Unknown said...

Really enjoy your blog and the recipes are fun too.
Re: the broiled chicken, use one of the smoked salts and except for the lack of grill marks, no one would know.

Anonymous said...

I just tried this cooking method with my own dry rub. From now on this is how I'll be preparing my chicken. It looks, sounds, and taste like it was prepared by a professional. Thanks Chef John.

Unknown said...

One quick question, would this work with chicken leg quarters? I'd imagine it would, but just want to be sure :) Thanks Chef John!

Unknown said...

Great idea (again). Would this work with am electric stove/broiler?

Unknown said...

How hot should the oven be?

konberg said...

Hey Chef John, first time long time.

I followed your instructions this evening. Don't tell my wife where the recipe came from because she thinks I am a superhero now. This was fantastic.

Charging Rhino said...

"... While most people are fine melting cheese over their nachos with it, or browning a casserole, the broiler is seldom used to cook meats."

I hardly cook meats any other way, I hardly ever pan-fry or pan-brown. While I love my glass-top electric range for it's even-heat and ease of cleaning, it doesn't really generate smoking-hot grilling-heat well, and the stuupids who built my house neglected to install a range hood that actually-vents to the outside so I can't expel smoke and strong smells from my kitchen...so I broil. Almost every supper-meal is seared, broiled or convection-roasted in my elec. wall-oven; fish, breaded chicken, pork or beef.

Unknown said...

Why do the halves needs to be so dry to start the broiling? If we baste as we go, does that affect the final product somehow? Trying Chef John's five spice chicken recipe for the first time and it's rainy and humid outside, so I'm trying this broiler method. Thanks,

Robinson said...

WOW! What a mouth watering delicacy! I will definitely try this to surprise my family. You can one more delectable recipe "Chicken Onion kebabs" to your list that i tried yesterday and it tastes yumm..