Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Chocolate Croissants – But Just Barely

I’ll admit to being pretty underwhelmed the first time I had a chocolate croissant, or “pain au chocolat,” as I’d mispronounce it; but eventually I realized the relatively sparse amount of chocolate wasn’t any kind of stinginess, but rather the true secret behind this amazing pastry.

Properly done, this should ride that line between sweet pastry and a savory bread, so don’t overdo it with the chocolate chunks; otherwise you’ll lose that beautiful balance. Other than that, not much can go wrong. Just be sure to bake them until nicely browned, and let them cool before enjoying.

While this will work with that dough in the tube, I’d like to think you’d make a batch of your own dough using our recently posted croissant recipe. Don’t worry, it only seems like a lot of work. Either way, I really do hope you give these chocolate croissants a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 12 Chocolate Croissants:
1 batch of croissant dough from this recipe (split in half for two batches of 6)
about 1 cup roughly chopped chocolate chunks, or chips
1 large egg, plus 1 tablespoon of water for the egg wash
coarsely ground sea salt
- Bake at 400 F. for about 20-25 minutes, or until well-browned

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post, as usual, chef. But you didn't link to the croissant dough recipe! Now I have to type "croissant" and hit "enter!"

rodentraiser said...

*screams, jumps, and dances*

Thank you, Chef John. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

JEL said...

What is the recommended amount of time necessary to thaw the frozen croissant dough? Should this be done in the refrigerator or on the counter?

Chris K. said...

I can tell you're right-handed because the knuckles on your left hand resemble an unshaven hobbit's foot, while all the hair on your right knuckles has clearly been singed off.

That's right. I'm the Sherlock Holmes of Chef John's knucklebones.

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness you for a fantastic recipe, Chef John. In this same vein, may I request kouign amann? Thanks!!

Bethany said...

Oh my! Thank you! I made croissants and failed because I didn't realize my yeast was either dead it I killed it. But now I have the inventive to try again and add chocolate!

Also, can you show how to make cannolis? Or something with dried salami? Not salami cannolis. I want help making cannolis. I need help making more savory things. Regardless, thank you for your awesomeness Chef John.

Jota said...

Those look great Chef.

Roberto said...

I just made a batch of these, but I used tube dough because I'm the Steven Van Zandt of my Croissant. You gotta' a problem wid dat?

zcat said...

Dear Chef John,
When letting these rise, did you cover them with anything?
Thank you for making the world a better place <3

Julia Barbee said...

Can you explain the techniques or for thawing the previously frozen dough?

Emanuele Martinangeli said...

Do I have to use the dough with the butter slab or I can use it without adding the butter slab?
Thank you!